Residence Life believes that sustainability doesn't start and end with recycling in our communities. Over the last few years our facilities and maintenance staff have made a commitment to use environmentally friendly and sustainable products in our offices and hall communities as well.
We've even won an award for our efforts! Residence Life received an Honorable Mention in the college/university category of the 2011 Green Cleaning Award for Schools and Universities, sponsored by American School & University magazine, The Green Cleaning Network, and Healthy Schools Campaign. Congratulations to the Residence Life Custodial Department.
Here's some of the environmental goodness our facilities staff use (when possible) in our communities:
- Green cleaning products used by our custodial staff
- Low VOC paints are used in our halls to limit off-gassing in our buildings
- Fabrics on our new furniture have recycled content and are recyclable
- ENERGY STAR compact fluorescent light bulbs are used throughout many of our halls
- Microfiber cleaning cloths are used, requiring use of less cleaning product
- HEPA filters are used on all vacuums for better air quality
- Floor mats are made from recycled material
- New student room furniture is made from domestic wood produced in North America from renewable forest
- Refrigerators currently purchased are ENERGY STAR rated