Welcome to Student Housing
Living in the residence halls (dorms) is a once in a lifetime and phenomenal experience. But we know that figuring out what you need to do and when you need to do what can be daunting, especially if you are a student new to the University of Arizona. Therefore, this page gives you an overview of the student housing process.
Since living in the halls is a huge part of the college experience, the number of applications we receive exceeds the number of spaces we have in the halls. This means a few things; first, we can’t guarantee campus housing to everyone who wants it. Good news for incoming freshmen – if you submit your housing application and pay the $150 non-refundable housing application fee by April 1, you are guaranteed to get an assignment! Second, we can’t promise that you will get one of your top hall choices – you’d be surprised at how many people want to live in the same dorms as you! Finally, it may take a while to get your assignment . . . we invite students to self-assign to a hall starting in late February and continue until school starts as we get cancelations. We really appreciate your patience.
Did you know that first-year students are 80% of our campus housing population? Because of this, the steps below are geared toward new, incoming students. Please visit other parts of the website if you are a current resident looking to return, summer school resident or graduate student.
9 Steps in the On-Campus Housing Process
- Be accepted as a UA student.
- Set up your UA NetID and password to complete any of our online processes.
- COMPLETE the online housing application and PAY the NON-REFUNDABLE $150 housing application fee within 72 hours of applying.
- Starting in late February and ongoing till school starts, watch your UA email for your invitation to SELF-ASSIGN TO A HALL. Self-assign allows you to pick the hall and room type or themed community you want to live in, based on availability.
- Once you complete self-assign, SIGN the license agreement (“housing contract”) and PAY the $200 confirmation rent payment (“security deposit”) by the DEADLINE in your confirmation to hold your place in campus housing.
- Optional– REQUEST A ROOMMATE using our online roommate request application by JULY 1.
- Before you can complete the roommate request application, either you or your roommate must have already self-assigned to a hall.
- Use our FREE outside vendor RoomSurf Facebook application to help you find a roommate. (Once you find a roommate, you MUST submit the online roommate application in my UAHousing.)
- Get your ROOM and ROOMMATE assignment in mid-July! We will send this information to your UA email address and home mailing address, and can also be found in your My UAHousing.
- COMPLETE the Online Check-In, in August, before you come to your new home on campus.
- MOVE IN!