Desk Manager Job Description
Desk Managers oversee the operations of a residence hall front desk, serving a residence hall community ranging from 100-800 students. Experience as a desk assistant, in supervising others, working with culturally diverse populations, knowledge of Residence Life, or comparable experience is required background for a Desk Manager. Desk Managers ensure that his/her staff are providing a high quality service while maintaining a respectful and professional work environment. Desks are often the first contact for students and guests entering the community, and it is crucial that the desk staff sets a safe, welcoming, and inclusive tone.
Desk Managers will manage a team of 7-10 Desk Assistants. Duties include: desk staff selection, training and evaluation, overseeing key and card access accountability, implementing policies and procedures in accordance with Residence Life standards/expectations, following University policy, meeting with the Community Director and Resident Assistant staff, working closely with hall council representatives, attending monthly campus-wide DM meetings, and meeting bi-weekly with area Desk Operation Coordinators (DOC) who will serve as the Desk Managers direct supervisor. Resources include: desk computer, Residence Life payroll time keeping system, Residence Life electronic temporary access control system, access to area office printer, copier, fax, desk supplies, and staff development funds.
Desk Operations include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Proper scheduling and record keeping of all hours worked by authorized student employees (Desk Assistants, i.e. DAs). Desk Managers will be responsible for submitting time sheets as directed by Residence Life Payroll (see “payroll” section of Desk Manual for more information).
- On-going training of Desk Assistants in the areas of emergency procedures, hall security, customer service, keys, temporary access cards, ETACC system, mail distribution and regulations, and University policies/procedures.
- Keep the Desk Operation Coordinators and the Community Director (CD) informed of any security concerns at all times.
- Informing the Desk Operation Coordinator of staff performance issues and concerns (e.g. letters of warning, terminations, probations, etc.). All performance actions must be discussed and approved by the Desk Operation Coordinators prior to meeting with staff and distribution of letter.
- Facilitate monthly desk staff meetings to keep desk staff up to date on all relevant desk operations information, new policy training including but not limited to the handling of mail, keys, temporary access cards, proper desk procedures, customer service, and residence life processes including the hall transfer process.
- Provide staff development activities on a regular basis to maintain staff camaraderie.
- The DM should maintain a presence at the desk by working shifts at his/her desk regularly and being aware of all desk happenings.
Desk Managers are expected to assist in all aspects of desk operations as issues or concerns arise. This includes covering DA shifts in order to prevent desk closure. Please do not hesitate to seek help from the DOC or seek appropriate advice from Residence Staff when necessary.
Overview of DM Duties
- Maintain up-to-date records of Desk Operations.
- Keep all forms and supplies stocked at the desk.
- Maintain adequate scheduling and coverage (check grab hours).
- Conduct and oversee daily visual & audits of keys and temporary access cards (ETACC).
- Conduct weekly physical audits of keys and physical/ETACC audits of temporary access cards.
- Conduct monthly key and temporary access card audits with your DOC.
- Ensure compliance with all Federal guidelines and University policies regarding mail and package distribution.
- Regular and timely follow-up with resident questions and concerns.
- Conduct random desk checks for security and compliance purposes.
- Submit sign-in sheets/grab hours sheets as directed by Residence Life Payroll.
- Attend monthly Desk Managers meeting.
- Set-up desk staff meetings on a monthly basis following DM meeting.
- Meet monthly with Community Director and RA Staff.
- Attend required meetings to remain up-to-date on campus-wide desk issues affecting operations.